1) Libra Dos Based Printing is not supported.
2) Btrieve 5.0 File Formats are not supported.
3) Novell Servers are no longer supported.
4) Many older Windows Programs wonít work.
Windows Vista is likely to be the first system to create genuine technological hurdles for anyone running older DOS or Windows Based Programs. As time goes on, we will likely find solutions to some of the problems but at present it seems that significant upgrades are necessary if you want to play in the Windows Vista World.
For Libra Users, workable solutions may involve:
1) Upgrading to the Windows System Manager.
2) Converting Files To ISAM Databases.
3) Converting Files To Pervasive SQL Databases.
you absolutely have to have
Our first look at Windows Vista was impressive despite the incompatibility problems. It has a very translucent quality to the graphics and the overall appearance is quite nice. It does require a fast processor, advanced video card and lots of RAM, so donít skimp if you really want one. It handles Audio, Video and Pictures quite well which is nice for a home computer but doesnít get along well with older equipment and servers.
Microsoft has allowed most major computer companies to offer Windows XP for a 90 day period which ends at the end of May. During this period you can still order computers with Windows XP preinstalled. After that grace period, Microsoft has threatened to cut off supplies to any computer manufacturer that does not sell their computers with Windows Vista installed.† Microsoft Support for Windows XP will extend to 2012 but support for all other Operating Systems has been dropped, see Daylight Savings Time.
If you are considering replacing, adding or just keeping a spare computer in reserve this may be the time to order one or two with Windows XP. For now, there are a still a number of good reasons that you may want to delay your inevitable adventure into Windows Vista:
1) Many Programs just wonít work on it.
2) Itís more expensive than Windows XP.
3) Costs of Hardware & Software Upgrades.
4) Performance is slower than Windows XP.
5) It doesnít do anything Windows XP canít.
6) Equipment Driver Support is still limited.
7) Itís a new target for Viruses & Malware.
8) It tightens software piracy protection.
9) Peer to Peer Networking is more limited.
10) It will drive you nuts with security approvals.